Today in History
Listings for Thursday, January 9, 2020.
- 1728 Thomas Warton, poet laureate of England (Pleasures of Melancholy)
- 1870 Joseph B. Strauss, civil engineer, builder of Golden Gate Bridge
- 1901 Chic Young, creator of the "Blondie" comic strip.
- 1904 George Balanchine, dancer-choreographer
- 1908 Simone de Beauvoir, French author (The Mandarins, The Second Sex)
- 1913 Richard M. Nixon, 37th President (1968-1974) Beloved by Checkers.
- 1914 Gypsy Rose Lee, burlesque entertainer, actress
- 1935 Bob Denver
- 1941 Joan Baez, folk singer, human rights advocate in Staten Island
- 1941 Joan Baez
- 1941 Susannah York
- 1944 Jimmy Page
- 1951 Crystal Gayle
- 1978 A.J. McLean
- 1788 Conneticut becomes 5th state
- 1793 Jean Pierre Blanchard makes 1st balloon flight in North America
- 1799 1st income tax imposed, in England.
- 1839 The daguerrotype process announced at French Academy of Science
- 1839 Thomas Henderson measures 1st stellar parallax Alpha Centauri
- 1843 Caroline Herschel, "1st lady of astronomy," dies at 98 in Germany
- 1847 first San Francisco paper, 'California Star', published.
- 1978 Commonwealth of Northern Marianas established
- 1982 5.9 earthquake in New England/Canada; last one was in 1855.
That's all for today.