Today in History
Listings for Thursday, October 3, 2019.
- 1605 Li Tzu-ch'eng, Chinese revolutionary, dethrones last Ming emperor
- 1803 John Gorrie, invents the cold-air process of refrigeration
- 1804 Townsend Harris, 1st Western consul to reside in Japan
- 1916 James Herriot
- 1925 Gore Vidal, writer.
- 1941 Chubby Checker, singer
- 1954 Stevie Ray Vaughan
- 1972 Kevin Richardson
- 1973 Neve Campbell
- 1789 Washington proclaims the 1st national Thanksgiving Day on Nov 26
- 1863 Lincoln designates the last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving
- 1913 Federal Income Tax is signed into law (at 1%).
- 1932 Iraq gains full independence from Britain
- 1942 Launch of the first A-4 (V-2) rocket to altitude of 53 miles
- 1947 the first 200 inch telescope lens (for Mt Palomar) is completed.
- 1955 Captain Kangaroo premieres. Good Morning, Captain!
- 1960 San Francisco's White House department store is first to accept the BankAmericard in lieu of cash.
- 1967 AF pilot Pete Knight flies the X-15 to a record 4,534 MPH.
That's all for today.