Today in History
Listings for Saturday, October 9, 2021.
- 1547 Miguel de Cervantes, novelist (Don Quixote)
- 1835 Camille Saint-Sa‰ns, French composer
- 1890 Aimee Semple McPherson, Pentecostal evangelist, radio preacher
- 1899 Bruce Catton
- 1908 Jacques Tati
- 1940 John Lennon, Beatle
- 1944 Jon Entwistle, Who bassist
- 1948 Dave Samuels vibraphonist (Spyro Gyra-Morning Dance)
- 1948 Jackson Browne Germany, rocker (Lawyers in Love)
- 1948 Jackson Browne
- 1969 P.J. Harvey, singer
- 1981 Zachery Ty Bryan
- Giacobinid meteor shower, radiant in Draco.
- Leif Ericson Day
- Ecuador : Guayaquil's Independence Day (1820)
- Hong Kong : Confucius' Birthday
- Khmer Republic : Republic Day (1970)
- Minnesota : Leif Ericsson Day (c 1000)
- Peru : Day of National Dignity (1968)
- South Korea : Hangual Day/Korean Alphabet Day (1446)
- Tanganyika : independence day (1961)
- Uganda : independence day (1962)
- Western Samoa : White Sunday (2nd Sunday)
- 1000 Leif Ericson discovers "Vinland" (possibly New England)
- 1635 Religious dissident Roger Williams banished from Mass Bay Colony
- 1776 Mission Delores is founded by San Francisco Bay.
- 1888 Public admitted to Washington Monument.
- 1936 Hoover Dam begins transmitting electricity to Los Angeles
- 1962 Uganda gains independence from Britain (National Day).
- 1965 Beatles' "Yesterday," single goes #1 & stays #1 for 4 weeks
- 1966 John Lennon meets Yoko Ono for the first time at the Indica Gallery in London's West End
- 1973 Elvis & Priscilla Presley divorce after 6 years
- 1975 Andrei Sakharov wins the Nobel Peace Prize
- 1990 Radio stations around the world play "Imagine" honoring John Lennon
That's all for today.