Today in History
Listings for Friday, June 7, 2019.
- 1502 Pope Gregory XIII, who introduced the Gregorian calendar in 1582
- 1778 Beau Brummel, the foremost man of fashion.
- 1848 Paul Gauguin, painter
- 1896 Robert Mulliken, U.S. chemist, physicist (Nobel 1966)
- 1897 George Szell, conductor
- 1909 Jessica Tandy
- 1917 Dean Martin
- 1940 Tom Jones
- 1952 Liam Neeson
- 1958 (Formerly Known As) Prince
- 1981 Anna Kournikova
- 1981 Larisa Oleynik
- 1769 Daniel Boone begins exploring the Bluegrass State of Kentucky.
- 1776 Richard Lee of Virginia calls for Declaration of Independence.
- 1839 The Hawaiian Declaration of Rights is signed.
- 1905 Norway declares independence from Sweden
- 1929 Vatican City becomes a soverign state
- 1938 the 1st Boeing 314 Clipper "Flying Boat" is flown by Eddie Allen.
- 1948 Communists take over Czechoslovakia
- 1953 the 1st color network telecast, from Boston, Massachusets.
- 1965 Gemini 4 completes 62 orbits
- 1971 Soviet Soyuz 11 crew completes first transfer to orbiting Salyut
- 1972 German Chancellor Willy Brandt visits Israel
- 1977 Anita Bryant leads successful crusade against Miami gay law
- 1981 Israel bombs Iraqi plutonium production facility at Osirak.
That's all for today.