Today in History
Listings for Sunday, June 9, 2019.
- 1781 George Stephenson, principal inventor of the railroad locomotive
- 1791 John Howard Payne, American author, actor, diplomat
- 1843 Bertha von Suttner, Austrian novelist, pacifist (Nobel 1905)
- 1865 Carl Nielsen, Danish composer
- 1893 Cole Porter, composer, lyricist (Anything Goes, Kiss Me Kate)
- 1910 Robert Cummings
- 1915 Les Paul, guitarist
- 1934 Donald Duck, famous fowl
- 1934 Jackie Mason
- 1940 Dick Vitale
- 1961 Michael J. Fox, starred in "Back to the Future"
- 1963 Johnny Depp
- 1981 Natalie Portman, starred in Star Wars Episode I
- 1732 Royal Charter for Georgia, granted to James Oglethorpe.
- 1860 First dime novel published.
- 1898 China leases Hong Kong's New Territories to Britain for 99 years.
- 1931 Goddard patents rocket-fueled aircraft design.
- 1959 First ballistic missile launched from sub "George Washington"
- 1996 Linux kernel 2.0 released.
That's all for today.