Today in History
Listings for Tuesday, June 11, 2019.
- 1572 Ben Johnson, playwright
- 1776 John Constable, English painter.
- 1847 Millicent Garrett Fawcett, leader of English women's movement.
- 1864 Richard Strauss, German composer (Also Sprach Zarathrustra)
- 1867 Charles Fabry, discovered ozone layer in the upper atmosphere.
- 1880 Jeannette Rankin, first woman elected to Congress (from Montana).
- 1907 Paul Mellon, philanthropist.
- 1910 Jacques-Yves Cousteau, explorer, captain of the "Calypso".
- 1935 Gene Wilder
- 1936 Chad Everett
- 1945 Adrienne Barbeau
- 1956 Joe Montana
- Kamehameha Day (celebrated in Hawaii).
- 1770 Capt Cook runs aground on Australian Great Barrier Reef
- 1859 Comstock silver load discovered near Virginia City, Nevada.
- 1895 First auto race.
- 1942 US and USSR sign Lend-Lease agreement during WW II.
- 1947 WW II sugar rationing finally ends.
- 1955 First magnesium jet airplane is flown.
- 1970 US leaves Wheelus Air Force Base in Libya.
- 1982 Movie "E T, The Extra-Terrestrial" is released.
That's all for today.