Today in History
Listings for Saturday, June 12, 2021.
- 1577 (H.)P. Guldin --1643
- 1829 Johanna Spyri, Swiss writer (Heidi)
- 1897 Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon, British prime minister (1955-57)
- 1915 David Rockefeller, International Power Broker
- 1924 George Herbert Walker Bush, 44th President of the US (1988- )
- 1928 Vic Damone
- 1929 Anne Frank, diarist
- 1932 Jim Nabors
- 1941 Chick Corea
- 1941 Marv Albert
- Independence Day, celebrated in the Phillipines.
- 1665 English rename New Amsterdam to New York after the Dutch leave.
- 1776 Virginia is first to adopt the Bill of Rights.
- 1812 Napoleon invades Russia. Classic "what not to" lesson.
- 1838 Hopkins Observatory, dedicated in Williamstown, Mass
- 1839 The first baseball game is played in America. Thanks Abner!
- 1898 Phillipines gains its independence from Spain.
- 1934 Black-McKeller Bill splits United Airlines from Boeing.
- 1957 Paul Anderson of US back-lifts a record 2850 kg.
- 1967 Israel wins the Six Day War.
- 1967 USSR launches Venera 4 for parachute landing on Venus
- 1979 Bryan Allen flies the "Gossamer Albatross", the first man-powered aircraft, over the English Channel.
- 1997 Hurd kernel version 0.2 released.
That's all for today.