Today in History
Listings for Wednesday, September 4, 2019.
- 1768 Fran‡ois Ren‚ de Chateaubriand, French poet, novelist, statesman
- 1810 Donald McKay, US naval architect, built fastest clipper ships.
- 1824 Anton Bruckner, Wagner disciple
- 1846 Daniel Burnham, American architect, built skyscrapers
- 1872 Darius Milhaud, composer
- 1908 Richard Wright, American author (Native Son)
- 1917 Henry Ford II, businessman
- 1918 Paul Harvey, radio news commentator, "Goooood Day!"
- 1920 Craig Claiborne, gastronome
- 1930 Mitzi Gaynor
- 1968 Mike Piazza
- 1970 Ione Skye
- 1973 Jason David Frank
- 476 Romulus Augustulus, last Roman emperor in the west, is deposed.
- 1609 Navigator Henry Hudson discovers the island of Manhattan.
- 1781 Los Angeles is founded in the Valley of Smokes (Indian Name).
- 1833 1st newsboy in the US hired (Barney Flaherty), by the NY Sun
- 1870 French republic proclaimed
- 1882 First district lit by electricty (NY's Pearl Street Station)
- 1886 Geronimo is captured, ending last major US-Indian war
- 1888 George Eastman patents 1st rollfilm camera & registers "Kodak".
- 1911 Garros sets world altitude record of 4,250 m (13,944 ft)
- 1918 US troops land in Archangel, Russia, stay 10 months
- 1933 First airplane to exceed 300 mph, JR Wendell, Glenview, Illinois
- 1950 First helicopter rescue of American pilot behind enemy lines.
- 1951 First transcontinental TV broadcast, by President Truman
- 1954 1st passage of McClure Strait, fabled Northwest Passage completed
- 1957 Ford introduces the Edsel.
- 1964 NASA launches its first Orbital Geophysical Observatory (OGO-1)
- 1972 US swimmer Mark Spitz is 1st athlete to win 7 olympic gold medals
- 1980 Iraqi troops seize Iranian territory in a border dispute.
That's all for today.