Today in History
Listings for Wednesday, July 1, 2020.
- "Wolfman Jack", a howling success in radio
- 1646 Gottfried W Leibnitz, mathematician-philosopher
- 1788 J.V. Poncelet --1867
- 1804 George Sand, French Romantic novelist (Valentine, Le Figaro).
- 1853 Cecil John Rhodes, South African politician, diamond merchant.
- 1916 Olivia DeHaviland, actress, in Tokyo, (Robin Hood)
- 1931 Leslie Caron
- 1934 Jamie Farr
- 1934 Jean Marsh
- 1941 Twyla Tharp, choreographer
- 1942 Genevieve Bujold
- 1942 Karen Black
- 1945 Deborah Harry
- 1952 Dan Aykroyd
- 1961 Carl Lewis
- 1961 Princess Diana
- 1967 Pamela Anderson
- 1977 Liv Tyler
- Dominion Day -- Canada
- 1535 Sir Thomas More went on trial in England charged with treason
- 1847 1st adhesive US postage stamps go on sale
- 1850 At least 626 ships lying at anchor around San Francisco Bay.
- 1863 Battle of Gettysburg, PA - Lee's northward advance halted.
- 1867 Dominion of Canada formed.
- 1873 Prince Edward Island becomes 7th Canadian province.
- 1898 Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders charge up San Juan Hill.
- 1899 SF City Hall turned over to city, after 29 years of building
- 1919 First Class Postage DROPS to 2 cents from 3 cents.
- 1941 1st TV licenses granted: W2XBS-WNBT (NBC) & WCBW (CBS), New York
- 1943 first automatic withholding tax from paychecks
- 1944 Bretton Woods Conference starts, establishing world-wide financial systems (like the IMF and the World Bank).
- 1960 Ghana becomes a republic.
- 1960 Italian Somalia gains independence, unites with Somali Republic.
- 1962 Burundi & Rwanda gain independence from Belgium (National Days).
- 1966 Medicare goes into effect.
- 1968 US, Britain, USSR & 58 nations sign Nuclear Nonproliferation Trea
- 1969 Charles Philip Arthur George invested as the Prince of Wales
- 1971 Golden Gate Bridge is paid off, so why is there still a toll?
- 1982 Kosmos 1383, 1st search and rescue satellite, launched.
That's all for today.