Today in History
Listings for Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
- 1740 Marquis de Sade, should have married a masochist.
- 1835 Pope Pius X
- 1840 Thomas Hardy, English poet/novelist, (Mayor of Casterbridge).
- 1857 Sir Edward Elgar, composer (Pomp and Circumstance)
- 1890 Hedda Hopper
- 1904 Johnny Weissmuller swimmer-actor, the definitive Tarzan.
- 1930 Charles Conrad Jr., astronaut (Gemini 5,11, Apollo 12, Skylab 2).
- 1937 Sally Kellerman
- 1941 Stacy Keach
- 1944 Marvin Hamlisch
- 1948 Jerry Mathers, "The Beaver", leave it to him.
- Republic (Constitution) Day, celebrated in Italy
- 455 Gaiseric sacks Rome, what a Vandal.
- 1858 Donati Comet first seen, named after it's discoverer
- 1873 Construction of world's first cable car system, begins in SF.
- 1910 Pygmies discovered in Dutch New Guinea
- 1936 Gen. Anastasio Somoza takes over as dictator of Nicaragua
- 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey
- 1966 Surveyor 1 lands in Oceanus Procellarum first moon soft-landing.
- 1977 New Jersey legalizes casino gambling in Atlantic City.
- 1979 John Paul II first pope to visit a communist country - Poland.
- 1997 Timothy McVey found guilty on 11 charges involving The Oklahoma Bombing
That's all for today.