Today in History
Listings for Saturday, October 23, 2021.
- 1752 Nicolas Appert, inventor of food canning, bouillon tablet
- 1835 Adlai Stevenson, Veep
- 1893 Gummo Marx
- 1905 Felix Bloch, U.S. physicist (Nobel 1952)
- 1905 Karl Jansky, discoverer of cosmic radio emissions in 1932
- 1925 Johnny Carson, host
- 1940 Edison Pele, soccer player extraordinaire
- 1940 Pelé
- 1942 Michael Crichton (Andromeda Strain)
- 1959 "Weird" Al Yankovic
- 1965 Al Leiter
- Orionid meteor shower, radiant in Orion.
- United States Day
- Swallows leave San Juan Capistrano.
- 1910 Blanche Scott becomes first woman solo a public airplane flight
- 1915 25,000 women march in New York, demanding the right to vote
- 1941 Walt Disney's "Dumbo" is released
- 1946 UN Gen Assembly convenes in NY for 1st time in Flushing Meadow.
- 1956 The ill-fated revolt in Communist Hungary starts, later crushed by Soviet tanks.
- 1977 By 2/3 majority, Panamanians vote to approve a new Canal Treaty
- 1980 Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin resigns, due to illness.
That's all for today.