Today in History
Listings for Saturday, June 15, 2019.
- 1330 Edward, the Black Prince
- 1640 B. Lamy --1715
- 1843 Edvard Grieg, Norwegian composer
- 1921 Erroll Garner
- 1932 Mario Cuomo
- 1937 Waylon Jennings
- 1954 Jim Belushi
- 1963 Helen Hunt
- 1964 Courteney Cox
- 1215 King John reluctantly signs the Magna Carta at Runnymede.
- 1520 The pope threatens to toss Luther out of the Catholic Church.
- 1664 The state of New Jersey is founded.
- 1752 Ben Franklin's kite is struck by lightning, shocking!
- 1775 Washington appointed commander-in-chief of the American Army.
- 1836 Arkansas becomes 25th state
- 1844 Goodyear patents the process for vulcanization of rubber.
- 1846 Oregon Treaty signed, setting US-British boundary at 49ø North.
- 1878 First attempt at motion pictures(using 12 cameras, each taking one picture (to see if all 4 horse's hooves leave the ground during a gallop. Leland Stanford bet they didn't. He lost).
- 1940 France surrenders to Hitler.
- 1951 First commercial electronic computer dedicated in Philadelphia.
- 1975 Soyuz 19 launched
- 1977 Spain's first free elections since 1936.
- 1978 Soyuz 29 carries 2 cosmonauts to Salyut 6; they stay 139 days.
- 1982 Riots in Argentina after Falklands/Malvinas defeat.
- 1991 Mt Pinatubo, Philippines erupts: 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide will slightly cool the earth for several years.
That's all for today.