Today in History
Listings for Tuesday, December 10, 2019.
- 1830 Emily Dickinson, poet
- 1851 Melvil Dewey, created the Dewey Decimal System for libraries
- 1911 Chet Huntley
- 1914 Dorothy Lamour
- 1928 Dan Blocker
- 1952 Susan Dey
- 1960 Kenneth Branagh
- Geminid meteor shower, radiant in Gemini
- Human Rights Day, a United Nations observance.
- 1520 Martin Luther publicly burns the papal edict demanding he recant.
- 1817 Mississippi becomes 20th state
- 1869 Women granted right to vote in Wyoming Territory
- 1898 Spanish-American War ends - US acquires Guam from Spain
- 1901 first Nobel Peace Prizes (to Jean Henri Dunant, Fr‚d‚ric Passy).
- 1906 Theodore Roosevelt (first American) awarded Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1920 President Woodrow Wilson receives Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1948 UN Genl Assembly adopts Universal Declaration on Human Rights
- 1950 Ralph J. Bunche (1st black American) presented Nobel Peace Prize
- 1963 Zanzibar gains independence from Britain
- 1975 A. Sakharov's wife Yelena Bonner, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1982 Soyuz T-5 returns to Earth, 211 days after take-off
- 1986 Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel accepts 1986 Nobel Peace Prize
That's all for today.