Today in History
Listings for Sunday, October 2, 2022.
- 1851 Ferdinand Foch, believed to be the leader responsible for Allies winning World War I.
- 1869 Mahatma Gandhi
- 1871 Cordell Hull, Secretary of State, lowered tariffs, (Nobel 1945)
- 1890 Groucho Marx
- 1895 Groucho Marx, comedian
- 1895 Bud Abbott
- 1904 Graham Greene, prolific English novelist (Brighton Rock)
- 1928 George "Spanky" McFarland
- 1938 Rex Reed
- 1945 Don McLean
- 1948 Donna Karan
- 1951 Sting
- Quadrantid meteor shower, radiant in Bo”tes
- 1608 Hans Lippershey offers the Dutch a new invention - the telescope
- 1836 Darwin returns to England aboard the HMS Beagle.
- 1870 Italy annexes Rome & the Papal States; Rome made Italian capital
- 1889 first Pan American conference.
- 1935 NY Hayden Planetarium, the 4th in the US, opens
- 1936 first alcohol power plant established, Atchison, Kansas
- 1942 first self-sustaining nuclear reaction demonstrated, in Chicago.
- 1950 The comic strip 'Peanuts' first appears, in nine newspapers.
- 1958 Guinea gains its independence.
- 1967 Thurgood Marshall is sworn as first black Supreme Court Justice
That's all for today.